Camp Blanding Facts
- Location: Clay County, Florida near the city of Starke
Visit Website ›
- Phone: (904) 682-3357
Florida Camp Blanding is closely associated with army training facility in the world war. As originally built as public training reservation in a year of 1939, it is particularly built for supporting the Florida National Guard. However along with the demand of mobilization of forces and quick expansion of US army, the Florida Camp Blanding is required to be a federal reservation. It was then rebuilt for bigger area to accommodate two entire infantry divisions plus a lot of separate units. Before the conversion, the camp building was previously used to train dozens of army troops. There it includes cavalry, infantry, field artillery, tanks destroyer, medical and engineer and so on.
All specialist troops were trained in Florida Camp Blanding. Between 1944 and 1945, a great percentage of people were sent to reload the ranks of the formation of combat infantry. Also the Florida Camp Blanding was used for hospital with 2800 beds, prisoner from Germany and The separation center. After the war, camp blending were reverted to strictly under state control. Nowadays, the camp is universal training center for reserve components, active component trainings and National Guard.
The Florida Camp Blanding was built to dedicate the reminiscent of World War II service. There you will find museum that is used to collect and exhibit some artifacts and objects about traditions of camp Blanding, heritage, and history as well as global campaigns. In reminiscent of history in Florida Camp Blanding, the story about German prisoners is revealed. The US government has granted 25 million dollars for paying for German prisoners up to 80 cents on daily payment in canteen checks while getting payment at labor wage rates. In 1946, the German prisoners were sent home since the POW camp was already closed. Few years later, several places were declared to be historical sites.